Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday

Scripture Reading for Good Friday:
Isa. 52:13-53:12
Psa. 22
Heb. 10:16-25
John 18:1-19:42

Love Lustres at Calvary
My Father, 
Enlarge my heart, warm my affections,open my lips,supply words that proclaim ‘Love Lustres at Calvary.’There grace removes my burdensand heaps them on thy Son,made a transgressor, a curse, and sin for me;There the sword of thy justice smote the man,thy fellow;There thy infinite attributes were magnified,and infinite atonement was made;There infinite punishment was due,and infinite punishment was endured. 
Christ was all anguish that I might be all joy,cast off that I might be brought in,trodden down as an enemythat I might be welcomed as a friend,surrendered to hell’s worstthat I might attain heaven’s best,stripped that I might be clothed,wounded that I might be healed,athirst that I might drink,tormented that I might be comforted,made a shame that I might inherit glory,entered darkness that I might have eternal light. 
My Savior wept that all tears might be wiped from my eyes,groaned that I might have endless song,endured all pain that I might have unfading health,bore a thorny crown that I might have a glory-diadem,bowed his head that I might uplift mine,experienced reproach that I might receive welcome,closed his eyes in death that I might gaze on unclothed brightness,expired that I might forever live. 
O Father, who spared not thine own Sonthat thou mightest spare me,All this transfer thy love designed and accomplished;Help me to adore thee by lips and life.O that my every breath might be ecstatic praise,my every step buoyant with delight,as I see my enemies crushed,Satan baffled, defeated, destroyed,sin buried in the ocean of reconciling blood,hell’s gates closed, heaven’s portal open.Go forth, O conquering God, and show methe cross, mighty to subdue, comfort and save. 
~ Love Lustres at Calvary, in The Valley of Vision
Read and pray Psalm 118:
 1 Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!
 2 Let Israel say, "His steadfast love endures forever."
 3 Let the house of Aaron say, "His steadfast love endures forever."
 4 Let those who fear the LORD say, "His steadfast love endures forever."
 5 Out of my distress I called on the LORD; the LORD answered me and set me free.
 6 The LORD is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?
 7 The LORD is on my side as my helper; I shall look in triumph on those who hate me.
 8 It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
 9 It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes.
 10 All nations surrounded me; in the name of the LORD I cut them off!
 11 They surrounded me, surrounded me on every side; in the name of the LORD I cut them off!
 12 They surrounded me like bees; they went out like a fire among thorns; in the name of the LORD I cut them off!
 13 I was pushed hard, so that I was falling, but the LORD helped me.
 14 The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.
 15 Glad songs of salvation are in the tents of the righteous: "The right hand of the LORD does valiantly,
 16 the right hand of the LORD exalts, the right hand of the LORD does valiantly!"
 17 I shall not die, but I shall live, and recount the deeds of the LORD.
 18 The LORD has disciplined me severely, but he has not given me over to death.
 19 Open to me the gates of righteousness, that I may enter through them and give thanks to the LORD.
 20 This is the gate of the LORD; the righteous shall enter through it.
 21 I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation.
 22 The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone.
 23 This is the LORD's doing; it is marvelous in our eyes.
 24 This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.
 25 Save us, we pray, O LORD! O LORD, we pray, give us success!
 26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD! We bless you from the house of the LORD.
 27 The LORD is God, and he has made his light to shine upon us. Bind the festal sacrifice with cords, up to the horns of the altar!
 28 You are my God, and I will give thanks to you; you are my God; I will extol you.
 29 Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!

"Let us remember Jesus,
who, though rich, became poor and dwelt among us;
who was mighty indeed, healing the sick and the troubled;
who, as a teacher to his disciples, was their companion and servant.
May we ever be grateful for Jesus the Christ
and what he has done for us. 
"Let us remember Jesus,
who prayed for the forgiveness of those who rejected him
and for the perfecting of those who received him;
who loved all people and prayed for them,
even if they denied and rejected him;
who hated sin because he knew the cost of pride and selfishness,
of cruelty and hatred, both to people and to God.
May we ever be grateful for Jesus the Christ
and what he has done for us. 
"Let us remember Jesus,
who humbled himself, obedient unto the cross.
God has exalted him who has redeemed us
from the bondage of sin and given us new freedom.
May we ever be grateful for Jesus the Christ
and what he has done for us and continues to do for us."

No comments: