Saturday, January 26, 2013

Glory-Filled Inexpressible Joy

"Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory..." - 1 Peter 1:8 
This morning I was in 1 Peter in preparing material for teaching later this week. My study had me immersed in the opening words of worship in 1 Pet. 1:3-12. As I was sorting out my thoughts here in my room on the second floor of the DBI center located here in Bible Bhavan Church in New Delhi, the sweet sound of praise music began to ascend from the floor below into my room like the savory aroma you might imagine if a master chef were downstairs preparing an incredible feast. After some time had passed, and being unable to resist any longer the urge to investigate what was occasioning such wonderful praise, I left my books to venture down the stairs. It turns out that a local fellowship of Tangkhul youth and college students were meeting here for a special weekend retreat. The Tangkhul are a people group living in Delhi from a far eastern province of India. I found the group gathered in the dining area and took the liberty to record a portion of their worship service. As they sang and I listened, it was as if the words of 1 Pet. 1:8 which I had been studying had come alive...

As you listen to the first 1:30 of the video, what you are hearing is the group praying (out-loud praying is very common outside of the Western world). And as you probably recognize, the song they are singing for rest of the video is "The Heart of Worship" by Matt Redman (in English too, which meant that I could and did sing along!). I included the lyrics below as it is one of my favorites. 

The Heart Of Worship
by Matt Redman

Verse 1
When the music fades all is stripped away
And I simply come
Longing just to bring something that's of worth
That will bless Your heart

Pre-Chorus
I'll bring You more than a song
For a song in itself is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear
You're looking into my heart

Chorus
I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about You all about You Jesus
I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it
When it's all about You all about You Jesus

Verse 2
King of endless worth no one could express
How much You deserve
Though I'm weak and poor all I have is Yours
Ev'ry single breath

© 1999 Thankyou Music (Admin. by EMI Christian Music Publishing)
For use solely with the SongSelect Terms of Use.  All rights reserved. www.ccli.com
CCLI License # 733125

No comments: